Saturday, January 03, 2009

Bailey's Fire Truck Cake & Birthday Party

I wanted to make a fire truck cake for Bailey. I spent several hours researching fire trucks on the internet. I never imagined that there were so many different brands and styles of fire trucks. I decided to make one similar to the fire trucks in our town.

Based on this picture and others, I drew up four elevations and a top view in a CAD program.

I figured out all of the individual parts I need to make and got to work. I spent about 16 hours total making gumpaste parts, baking and carving the cakes, icing, etc. but I spent the most of three days working on it with all of the design and research. My hands hurt so bad because of washing them so many times and they have never been so dry before. Lotion made them sting very bad too.

I'm glad I made this cake. Bailey loved it and he would point to it and say "Fire Truck." I would have done more to it if I had time (adding a stripe, adding detail to make the black glass look shiny, outlining some parts, etc.) , but I stopped about an hour before the party started. I had some help from Lori (painting the silver pieces) and Natalee (wrote "Happy Birthday Bailey"). Thank you so much for your help! I do not plan on doing another cake for a LONG time! One every one and a half to two years is plenty.

Before Natalee's lettering (after I gave up and said "No More!")

After lettering.

Back and right side. Notice the fire hydrant.


Bailey the fire chief - pic by Lindsey. I love this picture!

Bailey opening presents

Unfortunately, I don't have many pictures of Bailey's party. We had 23 people over, including us, so I was concerned more about feeding everyone and less about taking pictures.

See Lindsey and Brice's Blog and the Klotz Family Blog for their pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment